Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Blogger Tutorial--Adding Tabs (or Pages) to Your Blog

I've had a few people ask me how to get the "tabs" at the top of a blog. Those are actually "pages" that you can add to your blog where you can put separate content other than just blog posts. Remember you can click on any of the pictures below if you need a closer view!

It is super easy to add pages to your blog. Sometimes a template will have them already included, but if yours doesn't, you can choose a gadget to help you add them. First, go to your design center for your blog. Here's what mine looks like:


Second, click on add a gadget. Look at the gadget list and find the Pages one. You'll click on that to open it up.

Third, you should get something like this, only yours won't have any pages yet! Look down at the bottom of this pop up box. It tells you that you can either have the pages at the top of your blog or as a list in a side column. I named my pages gadget "Pages" as you can see, so I can easily see it when I close the gadget dialog box.


After you close the gadget dialog box, check in your design center to see where your gadget wound up. If you want it under your blog title, just drag it up there!

Next click on the posting tab while in design center. See the link where it says "Edit Pages"? Click on that!

You'll get to this screen, where you can add, edit, or delete pages...of course you'll want to start out by adding a page.

The add a page section looks a lot like a blog post, but here's where you'll put the new content that you want to add.


Remember, you can always go back to the design center, click on the Pages gadget to manipulate the order of pages, or whether or not you even want them displayed. Sometimes, I'll add a page that I want to go "live" in the next month (maybe a monthly special), which is a nice feature. Remember, though, that blogger only allows 10 additional pages ; )

Here is what my blog looks like w/ the pages under my blog title.

Please leave a comment if you found this useful! Also let me know what other types of tutorials you might like to see! Questions are always welcome, too!

6 comments:

  1. This is great Suz! Now can you tell me how to customize the back ground?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I look forward to following this tutorial as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, What do you want to customize? Are you looking for a blog skin? Or headers? I can point you to a few freebie sites if you let me know what you are wanting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Suz thank you thank you thank you, I always wanted those buttons, now I just need to know, can I take all my projects and drag them into them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to mention that I am now following you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please e-mail me at spidermonkey62@gmail.com if you wouldn't mind helping me if it is possible to drag my creations in the tabs, for instance, Cards, Scrapbook Pages. Thanks Suz :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!