Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Knitting Frenzy


I've been knitting since I was 19, when I got roped into a knitting class by a friend who later dropped out.  It was one of those funky, chic yarn shops in San Francisco that has long since come and gone.  I hate to say how many years ago that was (or even think it!), but let's just say, I have quite a bit of knitting experience.

Knitting was my first passionate hobby, and while I've had some slack years, I've always been loyal.  Lately, I've had a bit of a knitting binge; I've already finished up two sweaters this summer, and I'm about to finish another (all for myself of course.  Knitting is the most fun for a truly grateful recipient.  And I am TRULY grateful!)  However, I am swatching to make this for Mister.  I made it many years ago for my dad's 60th birthday (he's in his mid-70's now), and despite its intricate look, it is actually a very easy Aran to knit.

For myself, I just had a weak moment and ordered yarn to make a sweater with the unusual name of Eala Bhan (wish I knew what that meant!  Need to research.)    It is a shaped Aran that I just love.  Only mine will be red....I love the orchid version shown here, but completed a similar sweater in a darker purple, and it would just be too much of a good thing.  I love red, though, and have never knit a red sweater before.  The yarn is manufactured by the gal who designed the sweater; she makes lovely yarn with lots of subtle color interplay--it's never just straight red or purple.  Really pretty close-up!  It is winging its way from Scotland as we speak, so I'll have to content myself w/ the scads and oodles of yarn I have right here in my own little house.  I have some lovely pinky/plum silk waiting to be a short-sleeved cardi, so that's in the queue, too!

I told you it was a frenzy!!!



2 comments:

  1. Love the sweater Mum! I can't wait to see it in person, and then I may have to swipe the pattern. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 14 pages long!!! Holy Moly. I need to find a flat scanner and scan it so I don't trash the book....do you guys have one????

    There are soooo many pretty colors in the yarn. Indulge, Missy! Free shipping, too. Was under $100!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!